Monday 13 July 2009

Two Mad Men and Me!

I am staying in a flat in the South of France with two completely mental blokes; one of which is obsessed with stoats and badgers, the other who keeps trying to feed me snails!
Harry seems to be obsessed with hats, and insists that his hat game is strong! He has so many with him and still can never find the one he wants. So this morning he had to settle for his pink headband, which he pulled his hair out of and made a very good impression of a pineapple!
Along with the vast number of hats that these two have there is also a huge collection of Brooks trainers, all of which apparently we are taking up a mountain for a pick nick/ party tomorrow!
Between our training sessions which involve sparring on poolside, jumping through raging torrents and dodging the red squirrels, there is time for filthy cake, coca cola and gout!
The cooking of evening meals is on a rota, there have been some cooking sensations! And there is always a filthy pudding to end the meal. But as there are 3 of us, and things are sold in packs of 4, there have been a fair few domestics between Pete and Harry over the last pudding. I steer well clear of it, and just sit watching them in their domestic, it is rather entertaining.
These two weeks have been very good, extremely hard work. But it has taught me a lot. Like how I need to (and can) stick to the wheel in front and cover the gaps. See Harry I have been paying attention. But I have also been taught some other important things, such as the importance of having a good hat game, that there is no end to the different forms of slop that can be made (things added to pasta), that runs can be made much more entertaining when there is a roundabout with metal dears in the middle for Harry to sit on, or a gate for everyone to flip over; though with me having rather short legs I got stuck!
The most important thing I have learned on this trip is that to be a tri-athlete you need to be completely mental! I thought I had a fair few screws loose before I came here, but two weeks with these two has shown me I still have most of my marbles, for now!

Editors Note: A second place at Bournemouth less than 24 hours after getting back from camp suggests Nicola did learn a little more than just the importance of a good hat game!

No comments: